Tuesday 21 October 2008

We both know that I could think myself dizzy

I'm sincerely hoping that sooner or later I wont be leaving month long gaps between my posts.

Everything is moving unbelievably fast I can't imagine I ever went on about my tedious days (i told you so's may be in session as of now). About 15- 20 hours of my week is spent volunteering at a certain 'Dar' here (thank you! [you know who you are :)]) and the place is absolutely amazing. I am in no way treated as a child, or even a student... but a fellow peer! My opinions, and ideas are taken into serious consideration and they trust me with tasks that are of importance. Some of them thought I was already a College graduate, employed there! Which honestly, makes no sense as I don't even look older than 15. But I'm not complaining. It's tiring at times but incredibly exciting.

I have managed to get a hold of a certain teacher who moved to Bahrain to write up my recommendation letter for Earlham. The reason for delaying this process for so long (not so bad as the full application's deadline is Nov 1st) was finding the right teacher. I do not want to walk into a College that expects more of me, but rather, one that will challenge me to succeed above my limits. Whatever they may be, judged and determined by me. To know my strengths AND my flaws- even if one or the other is minimal. Basically, not be the 'ideal' or 'perfect' student. I know I'm not a horrible student, and I know my grades aren't horrendous but I needed honesty. So I was pretty much right on track when part of his response had the following, although to call me a 'perfect student' is a tad extreme in my opinion. I guess that defines anyone who doesn't give you a hard time:

However, be aware: my reputation with american colleges is important to me, and them: I don't lie. The truth will be told! But, you have little to be worried about as you were a perfect student!

Overall, after completing the reference, his reply was:

Made you sound like a mixture of Maggie Tulliver and Ludwig Wittgenstein. You'll walk in. Good luck!

... ah, how I miss literature class.

Or more importantly, how much I miss him right now. Shall we call him 'the boy' from hereon? I'll give it a shot. The boy is not the mentioned teacher, mind you. I'll get into that some other time, perhaps.

Hm, I think my blogging style is changing by the post. For better or worse I'm not quite sure yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woooo HOOOOOO on YOU! Volunteer experience also counts as work experience, and gives you further letters of recommendation down the line, as well as something to do when you come back to Kuwait, a place to fit in. Good on ya!