Wednesday 9 July 2008

Cut! Print It

After running about for hours collecting documents here, getting some stamped and signed there, I am finally done with opening a scholarship account with the ministry.

The private education building was a joke. Three hours was spent there. The first to convince them that the school I attended abroad actually exists, the second was to do more of what was mentioned above, and the third to get photocopying done. Only in Kuwait will you find grown men shoving a 17 year old girl aside and 'slipping' the photocopier guy KD0.250 to get some copying done ahead of everyone. It was pathetic. I waited 'in line' (alone, my father is out of the country) for 30mins and they just kept cutting ahead. When I spoke, they simply ignored me. After that the guy handling the machine went away because clearly he was getting annoyed. You then had a bunch of alpha-males throw themselves at the machine trying to work it. They ended up jamming it and then staring at the thing for 10 mins, pressing buttons, banging the machine... basically not knowing what they were doing (oh no! apparently removing the plug from the wall socket and putting it back in didn't work the damn thing!) I politely asked to get through, fixed the thing up, ended up copying a dozen or so papers for this sweet old man who was behind me the whole time (who also kept speaking up about 'letting the little girl who was waiting forever copy her stuff' but was ignored as well) and then my stuff. Afterwards, the alpha-males shoved papers at me to copy, expecting me to do it for them. No pleases. Nothing. Just a 'copy yallah'

Boy, were they wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ewflHow have I never seen your blog before? Are you on Safat?

You write with such clarity, you capture moments (I felt like I was there with your Mom and Dad in their bitter recriminations) and I felt like dancing when you described the serene dance of the stars.

I love to story about the copy place - I have had the same experience, being pushed aside. I felt the same contempt for those aggressive, entitled boors.

Anonymous said...

OOps. the letters in front are your word verification letters. sorry!

sp4rkster said...

Intlxpatr: Possibly because I'm quite new, and no, I'm not.

Thank you! That truly means a lot to me :)

Sigh. Makes you wonder what type of society we live in. One minute they're going on about morals and the next it seems everyone but themselves must abide. Turns into quite a mess.

mooodi said...

Good stuff, go sp4rky.

Your further education is free, but getting it won't be easy :p.